Sunday, January 30, 2011

NY Times Examines Allen, Texas' $60-million High School Football Stadium

by Jeff Fisher
High School Football America

It isn't new news, but the NY Times has pushed Allen (Texas) High School's $60-million dollar football stadium back to the front pages. The story by writer Greg Bishop appeared on the front page of Sports Sunday.

What I find interesting about the story is the fact that school athletic director Steve Williams decided to talk very publicly about the 18,000 seat stadium that will be ready for the 2012 season. When I contacted him in September of last year about appearing with me on CNBC to talk about the stadium and the big business of high school football, a person in Williams' office turned down the offer, because the school wanted to keep things "low key".

I don't know about you, but I don't think the front page of the NY Times is very low key??

So with the "can of worms" re-opened, I ask you, my readers, what do you think of a school district building a $60-million football Taj Mahal during this recession?  Of course, I must point out that 63-percent of Allen resident voted in favor of the bond issue to build the stadium.

No comments: