Friday, December 02, 2011

Another Weekend of Championships

by Jeff Fisher
High School Football America

I hate to write this, but only three weeks remain in the 2011 high school football season.  However, it's three really good weeks of football as these are the biggest games of the season!

Whether it's championship games in states like Alabama, Kentucky, New Jersey North Carolina, Ohio and South Carolina; semifinal games in California and Georgia; or quarterfinal match-ups in Florida, Pennsylvania and Texas - these are BIG games!!

I'll be in Pennsylvania tonight to continue my documentary Roseto's Royals as I film Pius X's showdown with state powerhouse Southern Columbia.  The Royals, one of the smallest 11-man programs in America, are looking for their first-ever state championship.

Southern Columbia is one of the top small-school programs in the country.  Since Pennsylvania instituted state playoffs, the Tigers have played in 12 of the 21 state championship games.  Southern Columbia has won six state titles, including five-in-a-row from 2002 through 2006.

Pius, behind a high-octane offense led by sophomore A.J. Long, who has passed for over 6,100 yards in 25 games, is averaging over 44 points a game and looking for revenge.  These two have met five times in the postseason with Southern Columbia winning all five.

The last time these two met in 2004 with the Tigers winning a shootout 76-47 behind current New York Giants fullback Henry Hynoski, who had 409 yards rushing and five touchdowns.  Southern Columbia rushed for 768 yards as a team, which at the time was a national single-game record.

I expect this one to be a dandy with points aplenty going-up on the scoreboard.

We'll have all of the scores posted tonight once I return from the Pius-SC game.

In the meantime, check-out this cool photo I took today while visiting my grandparents' gravesite in Easton.

You know I love to brag about the hometown passion that goes into Pennsylvania football, but even I had to double-take when I saw an Easton Red Rover t-shirt on a tombstone.

'Til death do us part...or maybe not! :-)

Happy Friday Night everyone!!

No comments: