Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Football Americano - Game 1 with a Pick 6


by Chris Salvi
Free Safety, Torino Giaguari
Follow @CSalvi24


We kicked off and our kick coverage team did a great job!  Then our defense stepped up - run play…stuffed.  Another run play, another stuff, followed by a stuff on 3rd down! Three-and-out that forced them to punt and I got my first crack at being a punt returner.

I was able to return the punt for a 12-yard that gave our offense good field position. 

Our offense marched straight down the field and score for a 7-0 lead.

Our second defensive series was much like the first. A pair of run plays that got mauled and then Milan tried to throw a deep pass in my direction. 

The result? My first interception in the IFL!

The offense then converted the turnover into another TD and we were up 14-0 late in the first quarter.

Second quarter was a little back-and-forth until Reno made a great break in his zone to come with a Pick 6 and a 21-0 lead. The rest of the half went by with little offense and a lot of punts.  We were feeling good going into the locker room with a 21-0 lead.

Not to be outdone by Reno’s Pick 6, I was able to intercept a deep pass in the third quarter that I was able to turn into a 50-yard Pick 6. 

That was the first interception in my life that I was able to return. All of my high school interceptions had been from tip toeing the sidelines or diving for the ball.

It was a very exciting moment! It also put the nail in the coffin for the Rhinos.

The fourth quarter was also exciting for someone who enjoys good defense. We added on another defensive touchdown on a fumble recovery that put the finishing touches on a 35-0 victory.

Although it is always better to win the game, it was fun just to be out there again. The last time I played was January 6, 2013 in the national championship game against Alabama.

Crossing over the white lines into the game felt right on Saturday.

One of my teammates asked me before the game “are you ready?!"

“Of course,” I replied.

My teammate followed-up with, “are you excited?”

I think for a second and then tell him, ”Yeah, I’m excited! I was born to play this game!” 

It felt right to be on the field, and more importantly, I had a lot of fun.

No comments: