Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Out of a Job? Grab a Whistle

by Jeff Fisher
The High School Football Huddle


Statement of the Day: "High School referees and officials in the Lehigh Valley (my hometown area) are some of the best around!"

Trust me, I've got the facts to back it up with names like Frank Scagliotta and Jim Haney, plus oldtime names like Jody Silvester, Steve Honzo, Hal Grossman and Terry Stoudt. They may not be household names to my readers, but trust me...these guys are class acts. Whether they are still active or not, they all love and respect the game.

More importantly, I also enjoyed talking with these guys because they are the backbone of the local sports scene. In all honesty they don't get the credit they deserve for giving of their time...and for very little money.

So with my little ode to high school officiating crew in mind, check-out a great story in the Boston Globe about how the downturn in the economy is sending more-and-more people out to the sporting goods store to buy whistles to supplement a loss of wages.

On the flip side...in North Dakota, there's a shortage of referees, which according to an Associated press report means that some high school football teams may have to play on Thursdays and Saturdays.

No comments: