Sunday, September 02, 2012

"The Turnaround": Coronado Week - Sunday

by Jason Strunk
Lubbock High School Head Coach

A typical Sunday for us at Chapman Fieldhouse. Again, if you are not a coach you wouldn't understand how exciting it is to be mundane.

All day in the office watching film, analyzing, arguing, laughing and watching more film. What makes it exciting is the anticipation for Friday night. It is what we live for. We spend all year working for a grand total of ten days. 365 days a year and only ten of those count towards reaching your goal. Game night is where it is at. That is why I say Sunday's are exciting. You plan and plan all day and night for Friday. You have to love this job!

Our Sundays start between 7-8 a.m. At this stage we are in the major portion of building our game plan. I let our guys work on their own. I am not a micro-manager.  I hired a staff and I let them coach. I have all the faith in the world in what they are doing. I see the progress we have made and I know my guys are doing everything they can on a daily basis to win football games.

We will meet in what we call unit meetings. All that means is I am meeting with the Offense, Defense and Special Teams staffs to go over initial game plans and film. Starting around 10 a.m. we will begin these hour long meetings. We get a lot accomplished. It gives me a good feel for what we are thinking and seeing.

I am an Offensive guy. What that means is I am in every Offense meeting that takes place. I guess you can say I am an Offensive Head Coach. However, I have given up play calling duties this year. Too many other football related things to do. I am enjoying it. I was worried at first that I would be miserable not calling plays. It has been the opposite. It is a welcomed change.

At 1:00 p.m. every Sunday we have our staff lunch. It is a cool deal for all of us. All the wives come with all of our kids. We have a potluck style lunch in our team-dining hall. The kids run around in our indoor turf facility with their dads - quality family time. It is such a great way to break-up the day. My guys enjoy it. Nothing beats having a job where you can have your family fully involved in everything you do.

After lunch we meet for a while longer and call it a day around 4:00 p.m.  At this point 95% of what we are going to do is installed. The other 5% we finish up at my house at 8:00 p.m. All of my Coordinator's come to my house for dinner. After dinner we watch some more film and tie up loose ends. Tonight we called it a night at about 10 P.M…long day.

We are at the facility early tomorrow for Labor Day practice. Monday's are always a big day. Let's see what tomorrow brings....

No comments: