Wednesday, September 05, 2012

"The Turnaround": Rain, Rain Go Away

by Jason Strunk
Lubbock High School Head Coach


Westerners practice indoors during rare rain
storm in Lubbock
Practice starts early with 7:30am film session
over breakfast
It was a rare Wednesday in Lubbock. We had this odd encounter with something called rain. Doesn't happen too much out in west Texas- well at least since we moved here. We need the rain so that was welcomed. What we didn't need was the thunder and lightning.

We started practice on the field and about half hour later we had to move inside to our indoor practice facility. After 30 minutes inside, we were able to move back out to the field and finish our practice.




Wednesday's are important. It is the last day to work full speed and practice in helmet's and shoulder's. When our flow gets interrupted it is tough to get a solid practice. But I felt we got a lot of good work. Overall, it was a good practice. Game plan is fully installed. We didn't have any miscues in our communication system or adjustments. I think it was a great way to jump into tomorrow's mental practice day.

Once practice was over, it was time for me to head out to the TV station to do my weekly TV/radio show. It is every Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. I enjoy doing it. Any chance I get to talk about my team to an audience I take it. It is great for our program. 

On my way there tonight I had a close encounter. I was driving down Slide Road, when all of a sudden a crazy man, driving a white LISD Suburban, pulled up next to me. This guy was yelling at me. It took a couple of seconds to realize it was ole Kent Jackson, Thee head coach at Coronado High School. There we are, driving down the road laughing at each other. I thought he may try to cut me off. Wouldn't have looked good if two LISD Suburban's were swapping paint down Slide Road. He was in game mode! It is only Wednesday! It was good seeing KJ. I will get a chance to chat with him for about an hour tomorrow at our Media Luncheon. I look forward to those as it gives us a chance to catch up on a weekly basis.

One last note. I name a Coach of the Week every week over the course of the season. This week the winner was:

ADAM ROSALES, RB COACH

Coach Rosales won a $50 gift card to the Double Nickel Steakhouse. He is a tremendous coach and he and his wife definitly earned a steak dinner!

Let's see what tomorrow brings....

No comments: